There are six National Observances during National Military Appreciation Month.
- Loyalty Day (Monday, May 1st)
- Public Service Recognition Week (Sunday, May 7th-Saturday, May 13th)
- Victory in Europe Day AKA VE Day (Monday, May 8th)
- Military Spouse Appreciation Day (Friday, may 12th)
- Armed Forces Day (Saturday, May 20th)
- Memorial Day (Monday, May 29th)
In addition to these special observances, many retailers/businesses are offering discounts to active-duty, reserve and retired military personnel (oftentimes the discount is good for spouses and dependents, too!). For a list of these discounts, CLICK HERE.
The most recognized of these observances is Memorial Day. Let’s not forget the significance of this day while we plan our BBQ’s, get-togethers, weekend getaways, etc. This federal holiday is for remembering our fallen soldiers, those people who died serving our country in the armed forces. To learn more about the history of Memorial Day, CLICK HERE.
Our nation’s capital has a variety of events on Memorial Day Weekend, to see what they have in store, CLICK HERE.
Regardless of how any of us plan to spend Memorial Day, or how we’ve spent this last month, let’s all be mindful of our soldiers, of their spouses, and of all of the sacrifices that have been made for our freedom!