There are so many fruits and vegetables in season during Spring! Some of the benefits to buying fruits and vegetables that are in season include:
- The produce is fresher, tastes better, and is perfectly ripe.
- The produce will be cheaper when it is in season due to the abundance of produce that is ripe and ready for consumption.
- In season produce is more than likely sourced locally versus being shipped here overseas.
We have included a partial list below showing some of the more popular/familiar fruits and vegetables available this time of the year. We also included the main health benefits of each.
- Artichokes– High in Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and Folate.
- Asparagus- High in Fiber, a natural diuretic, Vitamin E, B6 and Folate.
- Beets– High in Vitamin C, Fiber, and potassium.
- Limes - Improve skin and digestion. High in Vitamin C, B6, and Potassium
- Oranges– High in Vitamin A, B1, C, Fiber, Folate, and Calcium.
- Papayas– Rich in antioxidants, good source of Fiber and Magnesium.
- Peas- Good source of protein, fiber and micro-nutrients.
- Strawberries- High in several antioxidants, Folate, Potassium, Maganese, Fiber, and Magnesium.
- Sweet Onions– High in Fiber, Vitamin C, and helps with hypertension, cholesterol, and help’s to protect your body’s cells from damage.
So stock up at your local produce market and start enjoying these delicious and nutritious foods!
Recipe: Roasted Asparagus
Direction: Place trimmed asparagus in a zip-top bag. Add 1 TBS Olive Oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder (to taste). Shake to coat. Place on cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.