Cheers to the arrival of Summer! When we think of summertime, a lot of different things can come to mind...sand between our toes, lazy afternoons soaking up the sun, kids out of school and ready for fun, a delicious variety fresh fruits and veggie, BBQ’s, water activities, etc. The list can go on and on! Summer is a perfect time of year to take a fresh look at your health goals and how the season can help you to reach them.
Summer Activity Goals:
- Take some time to play with the kids outside. Those kids are bursting with energy! Pull them away from their devices and out the door for some good old fashioned fun outside in the yard or at a park.
- Join an adult sports team (soccer, Frisbee, volleyball, etc). Most communities offer different sports activities for adults. Do some research to find out what your community offers. Most likely, you will find casual recreation available that not only boosts your activity levels, but can introduce you to new friends!
Fun outdoor activities include:
*Water gun party, water balloon party, volleyball, swimming, kickball, frisbee, biking, hiking, and roller skating*
Summer Nutrition Goals:
Fresh fruits and vegetables are abundant this time of year! Take advantage of seasonal produce to help meet nutrition goals. Some fruits and vegetables in season include:
- Watermelon (CLICK HERE to check out a delicious Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint)
- Cucumbers (CLICK HERE for a delicious Summer Cucumber and Tomato Salad recipe)
*Don’t forget to stay hydrated in the summer heat!! Try to always have a bottle of water with you and remind your children to drink water throughout the day.*
Summer Sleep Goals:
The days are longer and the nights are warmer in summer. Sometimes this can make it difficult to get a good night’s sleep. Keep these things in mind when working towards those summer sleep goals:
- The kids are out of school so the alarms are turned off. Although getting up bright and early during summer break is not necessary, it is helpful to keep a structured bed time and wake-up routine. This will help to ensure everyone is getting the sleep they need.
- Research shows that people tend to sleep better if it is cooler. Most people nowadays can adjust their temp settings to ensure a cool nights sleep even during the hottest parts of summer. Other ideas include swapping out heavier sheets and blankets for lighter linens and taking a shower before going to bed to lower your body temperature.
Summer Mindfulness Goals:
Take time to stop and smell the roses! We have all heard that saying at one point or another. How often do we actually try to follow that little bit of advice? Summer time can be a very busy time. Between sports, vacations, camps, and other activities it may be hard to find time to wind down. Each of these activities provides a perfect opportunity to stand back, to reflect on, and to appreciate. Appreciate the family time, the vacations, and the little things. Appreciate the ability to make memories with our family. Appreciate the fresh fruits and vegetables that fill our plates. Reflect on the activities and events of the long summer days...because before we know it, Fall will arrive and another summer will be in the books!
Have a great summer!